Tuesday, February 5, 2013
I know a lot of you have Facebooked and emailed me asking for the granola recipe I make for my family. So here is the post! I have hunted forever for a REALLY GOOD granola recipe, but a lot of them were just not doing it for my family and then I stumbled on a recipe at http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2010/04/04/recipe-granola-bars-cereal/ and let me tell you we are sticking with it!!! It is the best and all natural! YUM!!!
So here are the ingredients and how to make it!
Homemade Granola - makes 3 lbs.
3 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup raw sliced almonds
1 cup raw cashew pieces
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground or grated nutmeg
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Cover rectangular baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix the dry oats, almonds, cashews, seeds and spices together in a large bowl.
3. Heat the butter and honey together in a small saucepan over low heat. Once butter melts stir in vanilla.
4. Pour the hot liquids over dry ingredients and stir together with rubber spatula ( I use wooden spoon) until evenly coated.
5. Spread mixture onto prepared pan in one even layer. Bake for 75 mins.
6. Then granola will become crisp as it cools at which point you can break into pieces for bars or break into small chunks for granola.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
So I hope you try this recipe. I am sure you and your family will love it as much as my family and I do.
Also go check out Lisa Leake's blog at : http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/. She has an amazing blog if you are thinking about taking processed foods out of your families diets! Great blog!
Enjoy! Come back and let me know what you think!