Monday, April 9, 2012

Farming in the Old Days

Sorry for it being so long since I posted last. things have been so crazy busy around here and our main computer won't let me get onto my blog, so I can only use the laptop which takes forever to warm up ! I am glad to be back !

I wanted to give you a quick update on our little homestead. We have planted two apple trees in the yard, a red delicious and a golden delicious. the potatoes are doing awesome and so are the onions, cauliflower , onions and celery. Our strawberries are actually flowering and have small strawberries on them! This weather is really confusing them. We are getting officially getting compost tea from the worms, once the weather gets warmer and the wind isn't so harsh then we will be harvesting the compost in the bottom of the tub. I will be sure to post about that when I do it.


I have been watching series on internet about farming back in the Edwardian era and Victorian period farms. Historians "go back in time" and go back to these eras to run a farm like they did back in that period of time. It is so cool to see how people lived back then and to learn about what they had to go through. I think it would be neat to do something like this and go back to a farm that use to be running and bring it back to life for a time and live like they did for a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFjdpu4QoLo - Edwardian farm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA1269IgGY0 - Victorian farm

What do you guys think? Would you do something like this? It makes me think if we had to go back to living like this would we be able to do it? I think it seems like a lot of hard work , but watching them do all the farming and house work it make you think of how much they do and how much more I should do! hahaha Hard work never hurt anyone!

I hope you all had a blessed Easter! I hope you all have a wonderful rest of the week!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting these. I can't wait to watch the others. So much to learn;- )

    Have a blessed week in THE LORD!

    Amanda
    Matthew 6:33

    ReplyDelete