Friday, January 13, 2017

Our new addition and an incubator

    About 2 1/2 weeks ago we welcomed a 6 month old , black and white painted buck. We are excited

for his arrival, but also a bit anxious to have a buck on the property. We are excited though to be able

to have babies on the homestead again.










 His name is Luke and he is adjusting well. Right now we have him separated from the ladies for now

until we are ready to put them all together. He is a sweet boy, but you can surely tell he is a buck (

not just by the smell either! haha) by the way he moves and acts. We have talked to the boys about

safety around him since with all animals you need to use caution.

We are excited to see what the baby goats will look like this spring and summer.




We are also excited because we just bought a small egg incubator to hatch our own chicks! We have

5 eggs in the incubator right now , which we started yesterday. We will be sure to keep you updated

on this journey and with pictures as well! ( if I can remember!).


I have started working on our garden plan for this year as well! Yay!! I can't wait to get things

planted! I am ready for the dirt to get under my nails and the smell of freshly tilled soil! Anyone

else?! We are also making a list of projects we want to get done on the homestead. Honestly, I don't

think the list of projects ever gets done or ends, but I am okay with that!

I would love to add more animals to our homestead this year, but we are still unsure if that will

yet or not, but I will be sure to keep you all updated.

Anything new on your homestead? Anyone else hatching their own eggs? If so any advice would be

great! I am a nervous wreck about this!

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

~ Katie

1 comment:

  1. Nothing is more fun on a homestead than baby animals! Congratulations on your new buck, he's a looker.

    I've always let my hens do the egg hatching, so I'm clueless about incubators. People say they guarantee a better hatch rate, though, so hopefully you'll do well in the chick department.

    ReplyDelete