Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A quick meal

Here is another quick meal to make if you just run out of time. I was deep cleaning the house yesterday and when I looked up at the clock it was already 4:30pm ( we eat at 5-5:15ish). So I was scrambling to think of what to make!

On Sunday we had gone to Tom's parent's house to have dinner and she was nice enough to give us leftovers. So with the leftover Chicken strips she gave us I did this:


6 breaded chicken strips( these where homemade)
1 bag of egg noodles
Frozen Broccoli ( the last bits in the bag), you could use fresh

Sauce:
salt and pepper ( to taste)
Milk ( about a half to a cup) * I just poured really didn't measure*
flour ( a tablespoon and half)
1-2 tablespoons butter
couple handfuls of Parmesan cheese
A tablespoon of Italian seasoning ( more or less to your taste) I used home made from a friend.


Okay so I put the noodles on to boil away. While the noodles were boiling I put a skillet pan on medium heat and melted some butter, about a tablespoon, and added the broccoli stirred around a little. Then I put a lid on it to steam them for about a minute, I like mine to still have a little crunch, if you don't then steam longer. I then added the chicken and let them warm through. Set aside covered.

Drain egg noodles or what ever kind of noodles you are using.


To make the sauce I melted the butter in a sauce pan when completely melted I added the flour to make a roux. Whisk them together till it forms somewhat of a paste. Then add the milk slowly and whisking in between adding the milk. When that begins to simmer I added some of the Italian herb mix and the Parmesan cheese. Let simmer till desired thickness. Remember to keep stirring while it cooks!

Then to serve you can either add everything into the sauce skillet, or you can put the noodles topped with the chicken and broccoli and then the sauce. I do it this way since I have one child who doesn't like sauce.
Served with fresh bread or rolls and you have a quick meal! Enjoy!

~ Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment