Friday, January 11, 2013

Bread Review

As I told many on facebook I was trying out a new wheat bread recipe. This recipe is still a honey wheat bread , but it doesn't use any sugar and has far less ingredients then the one I was using before. One more perk it makes two loaves instead of just the one loaf my other recipe made. I am really liking this recipe alot! The family gives it great reviews as well! ( that is always a plus!) I got this recipe out of the Treausred Amish and Mennonite Recipes cook book. by the Mennonite Central Commitee. I would highly suggest making this really delicious bread. The only thing I changed about this bread is that it calls for white and wheat flour. I did all wheat flour and it came out fine but the choice is yours. So here is the recipe: Honey Wheat Bread 2 packages active dry yeast 1/2 cup warm water ( 105 degrees- 115 degrees) 1/3 cup honey 1/4 cup shortening 1 tablespoon salt 1 3/4 cups warm water 3 cups whole wheat flour 3-4 cups white flour Dissolve yeast in the 1/2 cup warm water in a large mixing bowl. Stir in honey, shortening, salt, the 1 3/4 cup warm water, and the whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. mix in enough flour to make a dough that's easy to handle. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Kenead about 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size ( about 1 hour) Punch down and divide dough in half. Form into 2 loaves and place in a greased baking pans. Let rise until doubled ( about 1 hour) Bake at 375 degrees F. for 40-45 mins or until loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans and cool. Makes 2 loaves. Judy Buller (Mennonite Central Committee cookbook 2011) Enjoy! ~ Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment